Thank you for considering this petition to request the release of Ramon Mendoza Pascual from the NWDC based on humanitarian concerns. The letter below will be addressed to Ramon's deportation officer and ICE Seattle Field Officer. Please read and sign below to support our request. We are calling all community, faith leaders, and advocates to stress the urgency of Ramon's release. If you have any questions regarding this letter please email us.
Seattle, April 30th of 2015
Immigration and Custom Enforcement
Enforcement and Removal Operations
Seattle Field Office
12500 Tukwila International Boulevard
Seattle, WA, 98168
We come to you as a collective of community, faith leaders, and advocates to respectfully request the supervised release of Ramon Mendoza Pascual, A#205868678, detained at the Northwest Detention Center, based on humanitarian concerns.
We are extremely troubled by the evident deterioration of Mr. Mendoza’s mental health since the time he was first detained. Family members, advocates, and professionals working closely with Mr. Mendoza have observed the dramatic decline of his wellbeing.
According to reports from mental health professionals working with Mr. Mendoza, he presented fine last year at this time whereas today Mr. Mendoza is struggling with severe depression, paranoid, and suicidal ideation. As noted by Judge Odell, there has not been any significant change of circumstance in Mr. Mendoza’s case. His deterioration, it follows, can only be attributed to his prolonged detention.
In light of his present health condition we urge you to consider his supervised release. While there are mental health services available within the NWDC, Mr. Mendoza has not sought them out due to political concerns. We share his impression that mental health providers working within the detention center are subject to what the report of Physicians for Human Rights have called “dual loyalties” which refer to the difficult position in which mental health providers are placed working within contexts where their patients and employers hold conflicting interests.
Mr. Mendoza has instead sought support through the community of advocates, requesting mental health services from a volunteer-based organization.
We also urge you to consider the many family and community ties that Mr. Mendoza enjoys locally. Mr. Mendoza is not a threat to community safety nor a flight risk, as he would do everything in his power to regularize his immigration status if given the chance.
Mr. Mendoza has inspired many of us by modeling a commitment to peacefully speaking out against inhumane conditions during a hunger strike at the Northwest Detention Center last year. The strike revealed violations of due process, unjust deportations, inhumane detention conditions, exploitation of detainee labor, and retaliatory use of solitary confinement against detainees like Mr. Mendoza.
We request that Mr. Mendoza’s human rights are respected and urge you to release him immediately based on the humanitarian concerns described herein.
- Maria-Jose Soerens, Executive Director, Puentes: Advocacy, Counseling & Education
- Rich Stolz, Executive, Director, One America
- Peter Bloch Garcia, Latino Community Fund of Washington
- Joseph Castleberry, President, Northwest University
- Hilary Stern, Executive Director, Casa Latina
- Noel Castellanos, CEO & President, CCDA
- Krista Jensen Washington DREAM Act Coalition
- Dianne Aid, President, Episcopal Network for Economic Justice.
- Eileen Suico, Pastor, National Evangelical immigration Table.
- Micky Jones Transform Network
- Alexia Salvatierra Co-Author, Faith-Rooted Organizing
- Alma Gutierrez Colectiva Legal del Pueblo / Paralegal
- Rosamaria Graziani, Education Director, Latino Education & Training Institute
- Juan Jose Colmenares Naranjo, Presidente, El Comité
- Amy Walen, Community Member
- Tim Soerens, Co-Founding Director, Parish Collective
- Marcy Bowers, Director, Statewide Poverty Action Network
- Marty Rosenbluth, Faculty, Elon University School of Law
- Angelica Chazaro, Faculty, University of Washington School of Law
- Chris Holowaty, Pastor, Foursquare Church
- Josh McQueen, Pastor, Overlake Christian Church
- Rebecca Sumner Everett Christian Church/Pastor
- Chelsie Frank, Quest Church Seattle
- Haydee Vargas, Attorney
- Eva Navarro, Community Member
- Rolando Avila, Community Member
- Shelly Cote Community Member
- Mele Morales Community Member
- Ben Katt, Pastor, Awake Church
- Claire Burkitt, Director of Resource Development, Puentes
- Wendy Pantoja, Northwest Detention Center Resistance
- Natasha El-Sergany, Staff Attorney, Colectiva Legal del Pueblo
- Martha Ramos, El Comité
- Naomi Strand, NWDC Resistance, Organizer & Attorney
- Lani Bogart, Community Member
- Veronica lopez-verbera, Community Member
- Bina Ellefsen, JD
- Omar Jurado, Community Member
- Rev. Jeff Richards, Sacramento Presbytery
- Sharon Burkitt, Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Nanci Rodriguez, Community Member
- Laura Ortiz, Community Member
- Monica Campos, Community Member
- David Reyes Community Member
- Edson Amezcua Gutierrez, Volunteer, Colectiva Legal Del Pueblo
- Daniel Harrison, Community Member
- Gertrud Nelson, Community Member
- Susan Hall, Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Terri Demaeyer, Community Member
- Alan Quinonez, Community Member
- Miguel Diaz, Community Member
- Cecili Thompson Williams, Community Member
- Emiko Badillo, Portland Vegans of Color
- Geoffrey Van Dragt, Pastor
- Cristine Ramsdale, mental health therapist
- Carly Brook, Pacific Lutheran University Student
- Alma Funes, Community Member
- Jeff Bettger, Executive Director, Artist Reformation
- Karen Gutierrez, Volunteer, Colectiva Legal del Pueblo
- Hannah Lemberg, Teacher
- Jorge Quiroga, Organizer and Pastoral Consul Member Saint Mary Church
- Victoria Gavia, University of Puget Sound Student
- Rev. W. Tali Hairston, Pentecostal Covenant Church
- Jeff Rogers, CEO, OneAccord
- Jonathan Moore, Immigration Law Legal Worker
- Rick Kendall, Pastor, City of Rain Covenant Church
- Christina Shimizu, Community Member
- Kathryn Hubbard, University Unitarian Church
- Andrea Wisner, attorney
- Monica Joffre, Community Member
- Paula Martinez, Staff Attorney, Colectiva Legal del Pueblo
- Victor Diaz, Community Member